Thursday, June 7, 2012

Work Discovery




The cool thing about my job is that I see hundreds of original artworks in a week. Sometimes I don't really pay attention to things because, well, I see hundreds of original artworks in a week (or day, depending on how the schedule goes). Then there are the times where I find myself slowing down and really focusing because I'm looking at a work by one of my favorite artists, and I'm blown away by the fact that I'm standing there, face to face with the same piece of work that the artist made. I usually feel like I'm having some sort of spiritual experience. (Not kidding, art viewing can be very church-like for me.)


And then there are the times when I discover something that I've never seen before by an artist I've never heard of. The most recent discovery is Rachael Robinson Elmer. She did a series of postcard prints that are amazing in their early nod to Modernism. She's so unknown, that a Wikipedia page doesn't even exist for her! She completed two full sets of postcards, after studying at the Art Students League under several well-known American artists, such as John Henry Twachtman. I don't know how many editions of these prints exist, but I am excited to have discovered some of them. She died at the age of 41, while serving with the Red Cross during World War I. However short her life may have been, I'm glad that she produced these works during that time.

Image from http://lockkeeper.com/features/rachael/woodblock.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment