Wednesday, March 13, 2013

French Silk Pie

If you ask me what pie I recommend you get, this is it. It's an over-the-top, amazing pie that is full of rich chocolate flavor. My first memories of this pie was a Mrs. Smith's frozen French Silk pie that my parents would get for themselves and keep in the freezer--away from us kids. I didn't understand why we couldn't have this pie that looked so pretty and so chocolatey. I might or might not have tried to sneak a taste or two along the way.

I put those memories away for years until I was reading Pioneer Woman and came across her recipe. I remembered the forbidden pie and whipped (literally) one up. I've never been one to worry about raw eggs, and this pie proves that you have nothing to lose with 4 raw eggs.


If you keep pie crusts on hand, once one is baked, this pie comes together in about 20 minutes. And I always keep unsweetened chocolate close by, just in case I have a pie emergency where I need to throw one of these together quickly. If you don't even want to worry with a pastry pie crust, apparently the traditional version of the pie uses a graham cracker crust, and that's a super easy one. I'm still working on getting my blind-baked crusts to not shrink as much. I've tried a number of tricks, but they're still sliding down a little too much for my taste.


I don't tweak anything about the recipe above, but I don't add the whipped cream or chocolate shavings. I honestly don't think this pie needs anything except maybe a glass of milk or a cup of coffee.



No comments:

Post a Comment